Advertisements

BK Chicken Parmesan Sandwich

3 Sep

I absolutely LOVE Chicken Parmesan.  It’s a fantastic marriage of Italian flavors and textures.

For YEARS I have been making my own Chicken Parm sammiches very easily.  So easily I often wondered why the big boys didn’t.   I mean seriously-  take a chicken sandwich, throw on some sauce and cheese and boom – a down and dirty version of the beloved dish.

So when I heard Burger King was bustin’ out a version I was STOKED.  It’s part of their new “post summer” menu which has an italian flair to it with a Basil Chicken Sandwich & wrap – plus popcorn chicken and a couple of other treats.    But I think this is the star of the show.

I polished that thing off just about an hour ago, so it’s all still fresh in my mind.   This is the kinda thing that could really turn into an ACE up the King’s sleeve.   It’s good.   To be able to get it anytime (24hr BKs around here) and under two minutes??  That makes it quite good.

At the order-board, I asked what comes on the sandwich.   I guessed it was chicken,sauce, and cheese – BUT-  sometimes a restaurant will take a GREAT idea and mess it up by throwing some weird ingredient into the mix.

ME:  So what comes on the Chicken Parm sammich?  (I say sammich even in-real-life)

BK:  Um let me look on the paperwork.   (This is actually cute because it’s SO new he doesn’t know and is taking the time to get it right-  I like this!)

BK:  Um… It is a wheat bun with grilled or crispy chicken that is …….tender and juicy …and mozzarella cheese …sauce and some more cheese …parmesan.

(the tender and juicy part was funny to me – he must’ve been reading right from the promo info….fantastic!)

ME:  Great!  I will take it.  Crispy style please.

What I got had some heft to it.  I unwrapped what you see above.   It’s a sexy bun for starters.   Soft and firm.   The chicken is a typical fried chicken breast.   I didn’t taste any special italian spices on it.  Nor did I expect any.  This basic chicken could be used for ten different sandwiches so I forgive that pretty easily.

The sauce is very mild and that is the only weakness of this sandwich.   I love zesty and bold.  This isn’t.  BUT – This sandwich has to satisfy EVERYONE – not just me – despite what my inner voice tells me.  So I can totally accept this.

There is a slice of mozzarella, and what appears to be Parmesan shavings on top of that.

Shaved Parm?  If you are gonna shave parm on top, hopefully this is an indicator that the sammich is partially assembled fresh as you order it.   I like this.  A lot.

Again, I dig this whole thing.  I am super-surprised that nobody has done it before.  It’s really such an easy variation of a typical chicken sandwich.

Ever since that news story came out saying Burger King had lost its #2 slot to Wendy’s, BK has really made a serious effort to bring some interesting and tasty new treats to the table.

I like it King, keep it coming baby.

Advertisements

9 Responses to “BK Chicken Parmesan Sandwich”

1. alicia September 16, 2012 at 3:22 am #

ok so i just ordered one of these last night , and it DEFINITELY wasn’t what i expected…. at all. i paid almsot 5 bux for a chicken sandwich that had nothing on it but a TINY little squirt of tomato sauce(or whatever it’s called). the chicken itself was delicious, but it was so bland, wtf! i thought there was supposed to be cheese! 😡

• alicia September 16, 2012 at 3:26 am #

wait, i just checked my receipt. i paid exactly $5.38 for a sandwich that i could have got at arby’s that actually would have pleased me. dear buger king…. YOU SUCK!!!

• junkfoodcritic September 17, 2012 at 11:26 pm #

YIKES Alicia! Sorry you had such a bad sammich. NOTHING SUCKS worse than disappointing food. Maybe I just got lucky? Thanks for your comments and your time! I appreciate your honesty and participation!

2. leeway63 September 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

The reason I found your blog is that I had a Chicken Parmesan earlier today and it really was one of the best sammiches I’ve ever had period. Fresh and hot and fantastic. Normally I get the BK Big Fish and they took that off the menu for the winter. Thankfully, they replaced it with something that I actually think is better. My only regret is not getting a couple extra. And the sammich in Indiana is priced at $3.69 so I have no complaint there either.

• junkfoodcritic September 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm #

Welcome new friend! Thanks for sharing your experience. You paid $3.69?!?!?! WOW – Here in Dallas TX it was closer to 5 or 6 bucks. Maybe a little over. I liked it at $6, but would LOVE it at $4 like you had! Thanks again for reading and sharing!

3. Stephen September 19, 2012 at 5:28 pm #

I have a bogo coupon for this sammich. Gonna try it tonight!

4. zinika September 22, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Not all Burger King’s are created equal in the help department. I ordered one of these last nite at my local, and made the mistake of driving away, dreaming of the tastiness that awaited me. However, when I opened the sandwich, there was the chicken (crispy of course!) in there, but there was lettuce, tomato, and some kind of funky italian mayo sauce. If I hadn’t been home already, I certainly would have turned around to have them remedy the situation. Sooooooo disappointed, as the Chix Parm sammie is one of my faves…………. {sigh}

• junkfoodcritic September 22, 2012 at 10:20 am #

Ouch- that sounds like the other new Italian basil chicken sammich was the one you got stuck with. Sorry to hear about the bad luck.

Thanks so much for reading and posting on my blog!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. REVIEW: Burger King Chicken Parmesan Sandwich | The Impulsive Buy - September 24, 2012

[…] Burger King Chicken Parmesan Sandwich reviews: Junk Food Critic Snackfood Appreciation Society […]